Monday, December 19, 2005

Fairplay: The Bestest Things About Moving to San Diego

OK, so we need to give equal time to the Good, nay Fabulous, Things about trading Filthadelphia for the Sandy Eggo.

10. The laid-back thing. Except regarding traffic, everyone is calm and willing to wait a minute, and be pleasant. Even if it is superficial, it's way nicer than being growled at by humans.

9. The supermarkets. I have a choice of five just minutes away, three with only or mainly organic produce! All stocking just about everything.

8. Outdoors indoors. Indoors outdoors. There are big windows and balconies and courtyards just everywhere. It is partly smoking sections (every bar has one), partly the architecture, partly the lifestyle. I just love it.

7. The work ethic. Californians work HARD. They work lots. While being pleasant. With incredible flexibility. Wish I could export that to the East!

6. The freeways. Though in some ways they terrify me, they are so well laid-out. Exits and entrances are simple. There are lots of signs. There are little nubbie things to mark the lanes, and the glow in the dark. Such a blessing for those of us whose night vision is challenging, and often "lost" the lane markers in Pennsylvania. Also, those big sweeps of overpasses can be quite beautiful, it's true, and the views of the mountains inspire even me.

5. Knowing that many of our most well-beloved Christmas songs and movies were crafted by people in Los Angeles, half of whom were not even slightly homesick for white Christmases. Ok, many of them were Jews, or even atheists, and now, some Scientologists. California does have its share of rightwing Christian creationists, but all of the froot-loopier-than-thou does make up for it.

4. Hanging up Christmas lights in 75 degrees Fahrenheit. In a tee-shirt: no coat, no gloves, no ice.

3. Matt doing the laundry and grocery shopping on his day off. Every two weeks, he is off on Friday and I am off on Monday. I know it's not that incredible, but I can't believe he actually does OUR chores on his day off!

2. The produce. You can't go wrong. It is heaven.

1. The sun. Knowing that there is really good chance for a sunny day. Even when it's cloudy in the morning, it burns off usually by 9:30. Now, December is supposed to be the rainy season. I'm tempting the gods by noting that so far, it has rained demonstrably twice since I've been in San Diego, both times in November. Even when it does rain, the sun dries it up pretty quick. Ah, the sun.

No comments: