Thursday, December 15, 2005

10 worst things about moving to San Diego

10. I have yet to find a gas pump with the little bump thing in the handle so you don't have to hold and squeeze it the entire time you are filling your tank. What's with that? Makes me miss New Jersey!
9.
8.
7.
6.
5.
4.
3. Low flush toilets EVERYWHERE
2. Having to shave your legs in winter
1. Endlessly encountering people dressed in shorts and flip flops (spaghetti straps optional) in December who complain about being COLD!

I've been working on this list since December. I will update if more occur to me. I debated saying something about fish tacos, but I like them (and fish burritos), and I am not sick of them yet!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Australia toilets have two flushers apparently.

Anonymous said...

Somehow the toilet comment is a little last century...California is running out of water (except for what it's pouring into farms in the desert, and even that comes from other states.)

Anonymous said...

New Zealand has the same dual flush system Em mentioned - basically, a half flush and a full flush.

lislemck said...

I remain convinced that we waste more water flushing three or more times with the low flow toilets. I am very committed to not wasting water. Joan Didion has a fabulous essay on the Colorado River and California agriculture that I read like twenty years ago, and now think of often. Maybe we need better designed toilets, or the two flush kind? Maybe I live and work in the low rent district, with low quality fixtures?

Anonymous said...

There ARE good low flow fixtures. Maybe that should be mandated (good ones) along with the low flow requirement. Seems like something we should be able to do. During a recent serious drought friends in San Francisco could not flush their toilets after every use. We might be creating third world conditions for ourselves with our obsession with "clean bowls."

Anonymous said...

There ARE good low flow fixtures. Maybe that should be mandated (good ones) along with the low flow requirement. Seems like something we should be able to do. During a recent serious drought friends in San Francisco could not flush their toilets after every use. We might be creating third world conditions for ourselves with our obsession with "clean bowls."

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisle! Looks like you're having more fun than I am! (An understatement [:( ] ) - Love to you and Matt and Em and Lady!! - DAS in NYC